Monday, January 26, 2009

My Training... slightly modified.

For those that are curious about what exactly I'm doing to train for my 5K, I decided to post my training guide. This isn't the whole thing, but I will include a link. I have slightly modified the plan for myself because I don't feel I'm physically up to doing the running portion, but I will get there. The program is for training in 10 weeks or so, and I'm stretching that out.

For instance, I walked for 20 minutes for about 6 days, then walked 30 minutes for roughly the same amount of days. To be honest, I've lost count of days, but I have been walking every day. Today I walked for 40 minutes. I'm going to get my body used to the physical activity before I start running. Plus I'm hoping it will warm up a little bit so I can run outside. Walking in my home hasn't been a problem, but I think trying to run will be. I need somewhere to do it.

So here is the breakdown:

Starting the Training Program:

The first step should be a complete medical exam to make sure it is safe to begin a running program. Depending on a person’s training base, an eight-to-10 week program should be just enough time to prepare to run 30 minutes, which is the approximate time it will take a beginning runner to complete his or her first 5K.

If the runner has not previously been involved in a running program, it may be best to start with an eight-day walking program routine, before starting to run. The program consists of walking for 20 minutes the first four days, followed by walking for 30 minutes the last four days. If this causes no problems, next follow a 30-minute circuit of running for two minutes and then walking for four minutes, five times consecutively. This routine should be done three times per week until the runner is comfortable. Each week, the runner should add one minute to the running time and subtract one minute from the walking time. This should continue until the person is running comfortably for the full 30 minutes.

Here is the link to the full page: http://www.fitfaq.com/first-5k-article.html

So that's what I'm doing. I'm going to get a calendar and figure out just which day I'm on now. :) All I know is that I haven't missed a single day in training, no matter how tired I was. :)

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I just started a calendar of training days, so no more getting lost! Today was day 15! So I did 30 minutes much longer than I thought. Either way, I've done it over 2 weeks straight! I can't believe it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! It is tough to get motivated. I am glad you are sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete