Sunday, January 18, 2009

Frustration, and day 7

Well I did it! Day 7! One full week of training! That is the longest that I've ever stuck to any kind of diet/exercise routine. I'm pretty proud of myself. If it weren't for the support of my Tina, I'm sure I would have given up days ago. So I bumped it up to the next level today. I walked for 30 minutes. I have a few more days of it before bumping it up again. We'll see how my sugar holds out on that one.

As for the frustration, that is regarding the reactions I received when telling people, mainly my family, about my exciting school news. I'm so excited about going to school to be a vet tech, but my excitement wasn't shared. It was mostly met with a disappointed look, or questioning. I definitely did not get the support that I was hoping for, and even expecting. Somehow my leaving nursing is the worst thing possible, and being a vet tech just isn't good enough.

Now I'm very aware that I won't make near as much as a vet tech as a would a nurse, but I don't care about that. I want to love what I do, and not do it for the paycheck. I truly think this line of work will make me happy, and it hurts to have people that don't believe that and don't agree with it. I didn't even get a congratulations, or a "that's great!"

Thankfully I did get much needed support and encouragement from my friends, and I also got that support from my mom. I just wish the rest of my family approved of it and were as excited for me as she was.

Anyone that really knows me knows what an animal lover I am. This just feels like a perfect fit. To those that don't approve, I'm sorry you feel that way, but it isn't going to change my mind or the way I feel. This is my life, and my decision.

2 comments:

  1. Hon, it's YOUR life and you really don't "need" family approval. It's nice to have, but you have to do what's right for you and if they can't support you, it's time they had a good long think about how important YOUR happiness is.

    You do what you want with YOUR life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Kath, it is YOUR life and you need to do what makes you happy! Life is to short to be unhappy!

    I'm very proud of you for going toward your dream. I know you will be a Great Vet Tech.

    Congrats on getting in to the school.

    Good Job on your fitness routine! You are very inspiring.

    Love ya!
    xoxo
    Tera

    ReplyDelete