Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The Frustrating Search

Now that I have finally decided what I want to study, I'm having a hard time finding a school! I have a few choices, but none seem to be working out so far. There are 2 schools with what I'm told are great vet tech programs, but both are almost an hour drive away. If I were working and had a way to pay for all the gas needed for that daily commute, I would only have the decision of choosing which school. Since it doesn't seem to be an option, it feels like those are ruled out right now.

There is another school closer, maybe 15-20 minutes away, but it is in downtown Detroit, and not in a very nice area. Also, I found out that the program revolves heavily around laboratory animal research, and that is definitely an area in which I have no interest in exploring. It would be much closer, but I have no interest in that school.

There is another option that I've recently found, but I don't know much about it. It's a vet tech program from Penn Foster College. I've never heard of them, and don't know much about the school. From what I can tell by the information they have sent to me, it seems to be more of a self-taught program. I would receive books and packets, and take my tests and quizzes online. That part doesn't bother me too much, but I don't know if this school is one I should even be considering. Not to mention that they do not have financial aid, so that may be a big issue. I need to look into it further before dismissing it. It may be good for me, I just don't know much about it. If anyone knows anything about Penn Foster College, please let me know.

So my plans to go back to school this coming semester may have hit a bit of a snag. I hope I can get it straightened out before the next semester rolls around.

No comments:

Post a Comment