Sunday, December 21, 2008

What to be when I grow up...

At what age are we supposed to know what we want to be when we grow up? As kids, we're always asked that question, and we also always have a quick an easy answer to that question. Why is it that when the time comes to really make that decision, it becomes so much harder?

I have been a college student for several years. Over the course of my studies, I have changed my major several times. I thought that my last chosen career path was the one that would stick, but plans have changed. Just for an example, here is a quick list of my choices: vet, teacher, accountant, teacher, nursing. I'm sure I've had others, but I can't think of them right now. I would let a current job, or a suggestion from someone affect my career decision.

This time around, I think fate (or something else) has stepped in and changed my career path, again. I can no longer afford my current college. At $13,600 per semester, even financial aid and student loans can't help me. Also, after an injury and years of over-exertion, I am no longer physically able to work as a nurse. It's very hard to accept, but that the same time I'm relieved. I always questioned my choice. I never fully convinced myself that I wanted to be a nurse, but the thought of a nice salary when finished with school helped me stay on that path. I also loved that I could work with people, and be able to help. I love helping people, and doing anything I can to help someone.

So now with two reasons to change my course of study again, I went back to the drawing board. I made myself sit down and really think over the times that I've been the happiest. I worked many jobs, and volunteered at several places, and I thought back on all of them. I wanted to be able to help somehow, but while combining the things that I love. When I was thinking and looking back, I came to a strong realization of what I should do. I call it my, "Duh!" moment. One of my friends told me that Oprah would call it an "A Ha!" moment.

Here's what I came up with, and it's pretty simple... I love animals. I love the joy that they bring me and those around them. I've volunteered and worked with them, and always enjoyed it. The thing that held me back from being a vet all those years ago was my fear of having to see hurt animals. While I do understand that it may be part of the job, I know that it would be a small part, and there are even opportunities out there for me where it wouldn't even be a factor.

I'm going to look into programs to be a Veterinary Technician. As some call it, a dog nurse. Having that degree would give me many choices, and not just working at a vet's office. I could work with large animals, or at a zoo, or an animal shelter. There was quite a list of choices, and as long as I could work with animals and find a way to help, I'll be happy.

There are very few programs in Michigan for becoming a vet tech, and the space is limited. I may have missed my chance for this coming semester, but I'm not giving up. Unlike all the other career choices I've made, this one feels right. I don't have that nagging feeling that is questioning my decision. I love working with animals, and could spend hours and hours with them.

I'm really happy and excited about my decision. So if someone were to ask me right now what I want to be when I grow up, I'm going to answer the same way I did when I was a little girl. I'm going to say, "I want to be a vet!"

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to the real blogosphere! Nice layout, hee hee!

    Good luck with your new direction hon, remember, you can do whatever you choose to do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool Terri...

    I am not sure who told me that I should be doing what I am doing now. I think it was the camera guy from FSN that I hung out with for 2 hours last night after work. It was fun and exciting and he gave me some great advice that I think that it applys to you as well.

    You are still YOUNG is what he kept telling me. The thing is that when most people are partying all the time you have chosen (or are choosing something) that is a great fit for you and that you are going to make work. You can still make it work for you. That is what he told me.

    I told him that it took 10 years in a HORRIBLE major just for me to turn around and wind up in Media Relations/PR and Social Media. I was meant to write in some form I just didn't take the journalism path. Now is my chance to interact with the press, solve problems with press releases, and to motivate people to donate to the Leukemia and Lympphoma Society.

    Did I think that I would wind up full circle after all those years of education where I could NOT comprehend half the stuff that I was taking. NO. But there are always opportunities to create the life that you want and need.

    Go for it and all the best. I believe in you because I think both of us were misguided through college I am just finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome, Ter. I'm psyched for you and very happy you've had this epiphanie (I think I spelled that right, but you know what I mean).
    I agree, once that nagging gut twitch is quelled then you know you're doing the right thing. Awesome. What's Dan the Man think? Is he psyched for you too. Sally says congrats.

    Hey, you write pretty well

    Jason

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much, Kath, Jamie, and Jay for the vote of confidence. I really appreciate that you think I can do it. :)

    Jay, thank Sally for me too! BTW.. you were really, really close on the spelling of epiphany! LOL. I haven't talked to Dan the Man about it yet. Is that terrible that I tell the entire web world before my hubby? LOL. Actually, this decision, or epiphany, just came to me the other day. I've been afraid to say anything to anyone about it, for fear that I would change my mind again, and feel like an idiot. I posted this after I had talked to a friend about it, and that's when I knew I was doing the right thing.

    Anyway, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and thanks for the comment on my writing, Jay. I've been told that before, but I always feel like I'm just rambling and not making sense, or just writing as I think. I can write as I go, but not if it's expected of me, or requires thought. LOL. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete